FOR YOUR READING PLEASURE—Volume 1
Here are some recently published books that might help you through the stay-at-home days of boredom……..10% off all titles listed and free shipping ($22.00 minimum order)!
Call us at 325-659-3788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Abbott, E.C. “Teddy Blue” WE POINTED THEM NORTH: Recollections of a Cowpuncher 1991, Lakeside Press edition, Chicago. Edited and with a historical introduction by Ron Tyler Adams, Ramon Adams, SIX-GUNS: “This is one of the best books in recent years depicting cowboy life. The author was a well-known character of his day.” Includes a chapter on cowboy songs. 385pp w/photos, footnotes, index. Trade paperback, new…….19.95
2) Adams, Andy THE LOG OF A COWBOY: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days 1931, reprint of the 1903 edition, Boston. Adams, SIX-GUNS: “...it has become a classic as a picture of trail driving, and no bibliography on cattle would be complete without it.” 387pp. Trade paperback, new…….14.95
3) Barker, Elliott S. WHEN THE DOGS BARK ‘TREED’ A Year on the Trail of the Longtails 2011, reprint, Silver City. Stories of trapping and hunting lions, turkey, elk, and other wildlife in the Vermejo Park region of New Mexico. 209pp w/photos. HB w/pictorial cover, new [multiple copies available]……..29.95
4) Bernard, Lora-Marie THE YELLOW ROSE OF THEXAS: The Song, The Legend and Emily D. West 2020, 1st printing, Charleston. The author seeks an honest account honoring the grit and determination that brought a free black woman from the abolitionist riots of Connecticut to the thick of a bloody Texas revolution. 160pp w/illus. Trade Paperback, new….23.99
5) Brown, Norman Wayne MAN HUNTER IN INDIAN COUNTRY: George Redman Tucker Deputy U.S. Marshall 2019, 1st edition, Eakin Press, Fort Worth. The story of the intrepid lawmen whose career chasing outlaws took him from Texas, through the Indian Territory, to Wyoming and back to Texas. 248pp w/illus, app, index. Trade paperback, new……..19.95
5b) Castaneda, Chrysta & Loren C. Steffy THE LAST TRIAL OF T. BOONE PICKENS 2020, 1st edition, Stoney Creek Publishing. “A high-stakes courtroom drama told through the eyes of Castañeda. It’s the story of an American business legend still fighting in the twilight of his long career, and the lawyer determined to help him make one final stand for justice.”303pp w/notes, sources, index. HB/DJ, new [multiple copies available]…….34.95
6) Cutrer, Thomas W. EMPIRE OF SAND: The Struggle for the Southwest, 1862 2015, 1st edition, Buffalo Gap. A new look at the Southern attempt in 1862 to open a path to California. 140pp w/maps, illus, index. Softcover, new [multi-copies available]..24.99
7) [GALVESTON COUNTY] THE MACEO’S and the FREE STATE OF GALVESTON: An Authorized History 2020, 1st printing, Charleston. For nearly forty years, Sam and Rose Maceo ruled a far-reaching underground economy of illegal booze and gambling but used their influence to infuse the “Free State of Galveston” with glamour, fame and fortune—a vision later used as a template for Las Vegas.187pp w/photos, appendices, notes, biblio, index. Trade paperback, new …..23.99
8) [GALVESTON COUNTY] GALVESTON’S MACEO FAMILY EMPIRE: Bootlegging & the Balinese Room by T. Nicole Boatman, et al. 2014, 1st edition, History Press, Charleston. A history of the Island’s empire of gambling, smuggling and prostitution that lasted three decades. 144pp w/photos, notes, index. Trade paperback, new ….19.99
9) Gwynne, S.C. HYMNS OF THE REPUBLIC: The Story of the Final Year of the American Civil War 2019, 1st edition, NY. A compelling narrative that breathes new life into the epic battle between Lee and Grant; the advent of 180,000 black soldiers in the Union army; William Tecumseh Sherman’s March to the Sea; the ri se of Clara Barton; the election of 1864 (which Lincoln nearly lost); the wild and violent guerrilla war in Missouri; and the dramatic final events of the war, including the surrender at Appomattox and the murder of Abraham Lincoln. 416pp w/illus, index. HB/DJ, new. Recommended!........32.00
10) Gwynne, S. C. EMPIRE OF THE SUMMER MOON: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches 2010, reprint, NY. “A thrilling account of the Texas frontier in the 19th century, a vivid description of the Comanche nation, …” 371pp w/notes, bibliography, index. Trade paperback, new …..18.00
11) Gwynne, S.C. REBEL YELL: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson 2014, 1st edition, NY. “A thrilling account of how Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson became a great and tragic American hero.” Gives insight into his tragic personal life and traces his brilliant two-year career in the Civil War. His death caused both the North and South to grieve the loss of a remarkable American champion. 672pp w/map, illus, biblio, appendix, index.
12) Haile, Bartee TEXAS BOOMTOWNS: A History of Blood and Oil 2015, 1st printing, History Press, Charleston. Chapters on Spindletop, Ranger, Mexia, Borger, and East Texas. 119pp w/photos, index. Trade paperback, new 21.99
13) Haley, J. Evetts CHARLES GOODNIGHT: Cowman and Plainsman 1949, facsimile reprint, Norman. Illustrations by H.D. Bugbee. One of the best of the cowmen’s biographies. Much of Haley’s material came from first-hand interviews with Goodnight over a period of years. 485pp w/bibliography, index. Trade paperback, new…..24.95
14) Harrigan, Stephen BIG WONDERFUL THING: A History of Texas 2019, 1st edition, Austin. “A tour de force by a New York Times best-selling author that captures the rich history of a state that sits at the center of a nation, yet defiantly stands apart.” 925pp w/maps, illustrations, notes, bibliography, index. HB/DJ, new SIGNED copies available……34.95
15) Kavanagh, Thomas W. THE COMANCHES: A History, 1706-1875 1999, 1st paperback printing, Lincoln. “This is the first in-depth historical study of Comanche social and political groups. [Kavanagh] traces the changes and continuities in Comanche politics from their earliest interactions with Europeans to their settlement on a reservation in present-day Oklahoma.” 585pp w/maps, illustrations, tables, notes, references, index. Softcover w/pictorial cover, new………34.95
16) Parsons, Chuck TEXAS RANGER LEE HALL: From the Red River to the Rio Grande 2020, 1st edition, Denton. A well-written, and well-researched biography with emphasis on Lee Hall’s years as a Texas Ranger, 1876-1880.421pp w/illustrations, maps, bibliography, index. HB/DJ, new …….29.95
17) Salmon, M.H. TALES OF THE CHASE: Hound-dogs, Catfish, and Other Pursuits Afield 2012, 2nd edition, Silver City. Twenty entertaining hunting with hounds stories.244pp w/illus. HB w/illustrated cover, as new, SIGNED……24.95
18) Salmon, M.H. Dutch GAZEHOUNDS & COURSING: The History, art, and Sport of hunting With Sighthounds 1999, revised and expanded edition, Silver City. An up-to-date look at an ancient sport with the necessary methodology for choosing, raising, training, breeding and running the graceful “longdogs.” 274pp w/photos. HB w/decorated cover, new…24.95
19) Schullery, Paul THE BEAR HUNTER’S CENTURY: Profiles From The Golden Age of Bear Hunting 1998, reprint, Silver City. Profiles the life, times and adventures of ten of America’s greatest bear hunters, including Davey Crockett, Teddy Roosevelt, Ben Lilly, and others. 252pp w/photos, biblio, index. Softcover new….19.95
20) Wittliff, Bill THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE 2014, 1st edition, Austin. Novel. “…an engrossing story of a Texas Huck Finn that brims with folk wisdom and sly humor. A rogue’s gallery of characters…” 224pp w/illustrations by Jack Unruh. HB/DJ, new, limited supply of SIGNED copies available. ………40.00
21) Wittliff, Bill THE DEVIL’S SINKHOLE 2016, 1st edition, Austin. Illustrations by Joe Ciardiello. Sequel to Wittliff’s charming and entertaining The Devil’s Backbone. More adventures of the boy Papa and his amigo Calley Pearsall. 203pp w/illustrations. HB/DJ, new, limited supply of SIGNED copies available………….40.00
22) Wittliff, Bill THE DEVIL’S FORK 2018, 1st edition, Austin. Illustrations by Edward Carey. The third and final volume of Wittliff’s charming Papa Stories trilogy. 153pp w/illustrations. HB/DJ, new, limited supply of SIGNED copies available ..40.00
We also have all 72 titles of Hank the Cowdog by John Ericson—entertaining! Call us for options on these highly entertaining books for young and old, paperbacks = $5.99 each, 1 thru 72.
For the youngsters in your household, click on “CHILDREN’S CLASSICS” for some great titles that have entertained generations.
ELMER KELTON: Essays & Memories
Edited by Judy Alter and James Ward Lee
A collection of articles about Kelton by folks who knew him well, including Judy Alter (publisher), Ricky Burke (pastor); Steve Kelton (Elmer’s son); Felton Cochran (friend and bookseller). In addition, several writers and teachers discuss Elmer’s extraordinary body of work: Ruth McAdams, Joyce Roach, James Ward Lee, and Bob J. Frye. It also contains an insightful essay by Kelton, “Elmer Kelton Speaks Out…On The History of the Western Novel.” And lastly, there’s “A Basic Bibliography of Books by Elmer Kelton” provided by Cochran. PRICE = $19.95 Softcover, 160 pp]